During the "getting to know you" activity, kids were shy. I think it's because I tend to be a little awkward upon first meeting people, so it rubs off on the students.
Anyways, overall, a good first day. I'd say 5th period algebra is looking like it's going to be my rambunctious class this year. All the kids in that class know each other already. It was the loudest of my classes today.
I remember last year, as I watched my 6th period Geometry walk in, I thought, "If they're this loud on the first day, I wonder how it'll be the rest of the year." They didn't disappoint. The only class that was as close to them in noise level was 5th period Algebra. Definitely didn't have any classes like my last year's 6th period today.
In fact, at the end of 6th period, I ran out of time to do Broken Circles, but had too much time to just stand there and wait for the bell, so I told my kids, "Okay, I know it's been a long day, so why don't you guys just chat for a few minutes." *silence* I could not believe it, especially since this is a bunch of sophomores, juniors, and seniors. I couldn't stop my 6th period from talking last year if I tried. It was...shocking. It was also a little awkward because I didn't know what to do with the silence. So I ended up going around trying to remember names again.
It's always a little hard to tell how the year will turn out. First week, the kids don't always show their true colors, but it looks like I have a good bunch. Unfortunately, it looks like things will be switched up for Geometry =(. Just when things were looking up.
The best part of the day was having kids from last year pop their heads into the class, or running into students in the halls. I realized my brain is already starting to push names out to make way for new names! It's horrible. There were a couple kids I passed by in the hall, where I totally blanked on the name. And it's going to take me forever to get the names of the new kids.
Anyways, I'm glad one of my favorites from last year (=X)...I mean...I don't have favorites...asked me if he could be my TA. It was great because I had just been thinking I'd need to find a TA. Another one of the students I get along with well (she wrote the letter to me about laying the smackdown on my 6th period last year) is going to be my 7th period TA.
Also, my morning crew from last year has apparently decided that despite the fact that they don't have me anymore, my class is the place to be before first period. I put them to work today to cut out bathroom passes. Free labor is the best!
I didn't realize how much I missed all my kids from last year until I started to see them again today. I miss the familiarity and the fact that we can laugh at each other. My first year kids will always have a special place in my heart. Even the ones that drove me crazy in class. I'm sure I'll develop the relationship with this year's students too, but right now it's still in the awkward, getting to know you phase.
Looking forward to being able to laugh at/with this year's students too. But I can't forget to be mean too. No pushover this year =[
1 comment:
wow what a great blog candice! it's all true for me too. kids popping their heads in is very cool but i am a little sad missing the 09 seniors who are missing. and it's not you, kids are always shy on the first day. give them a week. i look forward to reading more!
Post a Comment