Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pitfalls of teaching

Normally, when people ask me what's the worst part about teaching the first thing that comes to mind is either grading or classroom management...

but tonight I'm feeling like the fact that you have to cover your ass all the time is way up there on the list.

What brings about this train of thought you ask?

Already got my first upset parent...sheesh...just wrote a one page, very carefully worded email, which I will probably run by my coworkers before sending it out.

While I've had positive experiences with most parents, there are a few parents who I just don't understand.

Case #1: Parent who asked me to find ways to help her child improve, but when offered FREE tutoring every day from me said, "Oh, but she doesn't want to come to tutoring, can't you think of something else?" And then proceeded to complain about the fact that I don't collect homework every day.

Case #2: Parent who yelled at me for confiscating a phone/following school cell phone policy.

Case #3: Parent who complained that I gave her child a zero for not using pencil on a quiz. They were told the day before they need to do everything in pencil and that they would have a quiz the next day. When I tried to explain that it's better they get a zero on this quiz, which is essentially worth nothing, and get the picture that they need to use pencil than if i let them slide and they end up using pen on a quiz that's worth way more, they parent still didn't think it was fair because it was a bad way to start the school year. sigh...you would rather me let them start the school year NOT following class policies? really?

No comments: