Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Extra Credit

I just got an email from a kid asking me if there's any way she can raise her grade other than by making up a test. "Like extra credit".

For some background info, for the past year and a half, I've been testing out a method of testing that is like benchmarks. I have split each semester into about 15-20 concepts and students get scored on each concept individually. Students have unlimited opportunities to raise their grade by retaking concepts (however, after awhile, they start having to take concept tests outside of class...on their own time because there wouldn't be enough time to test them on all concepts during class time). I take the higher score, but in order to get 100% for a concept they must show me they can do the concept twice.

Essentially a student who doesn't do well the first time on a test, could end up getting 100% on all their tests if they worked hard enough.


...which is why it irritated me so much to be asked if she can raise her grade other than by taking concept tests. Really? You haven't done half the work. I'm giving you a get out of jail free card when it comes to tests, but you don't want to do it. But you want extra credit? Uh...it's called EXTRA credit. You can't get extra credit unless you get regular credit first.

No comments: