Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Getting passed through the system

So, we just had our jumpstart test. Basically at the beginning of the year in Algebra 1-9, we do Pre-Algebra review for two weeks (where we all give the same worksheets and go over the same review) and then we test students at the end of the two weeks to make sure they are correctly placed (or if they need to be moved down to Algebra Block, which provides an extra period of math support).

We set the cut off at 21 out of 34 because it seemed like last year people who scored below 21 really struggled in the class (last year's cut off was 18). Turns out if we set the cut off at 21, way too many people would have to be moved to Block. They reset the cut off at 18, but 68 students would still be considered "not ready" for Algebra 1. Unfortunately, Algebra Block has only 30 spots. So we had to make the cut off even lower!

Basically, kids aren't coming to high school prepared for Algebra. It's going to be a rough year. I have such a wide range in my class. We're doing a pilot with special ed, so I have kids who scored between 9 and 29 in the same class. I'm going to need some good differentiated activities/lessons.


Not surprisingly, I have students in Geometry who can't add and subtract negative numbers and don't know how to solve equations with fractions in them. It's frustrating to have to spend so much time helping students work through the Arithmetic/Algebra of a Geometry problem. They are still counting on their fingers...


Somehow kids just keep getting passed up through the system.

p.s. Jinna, that question card idea is good. I will probably try it some time...when I get my act together.

No comments: