"Wait a minute, I feel too well rested." I looked at the clock and realized, "Crap, I overslept!"
School starts at 7:30 and it takes me at least 35 minutes to get there (40-45 minutes in traffic). I called the office and then rushed out of the house. This was the first time since I started teaching that this happened (except once while student teaching).
Anyways, it was a MAJOR fail on my part. A sign that I'm not getting enough sleep. The night before I passed out for 3 hours, so I was up most of the night working on stuff. I fell asleep again in the middle of the night and woke up again at 5:40, but I thought, "I have 20 more minutes." So I fell back asleep. But I DID check to make sure my alarm was on. I can't figure out if I slept through it or what. If I turned it off, it would have said "off." But it didn't. My phone is pretty new, so I'm not sure if it just gives up after awhile. But I had 2 alarms set!
Luckily, my first period is Freshmen Geometry. Basically the kids who can practically teach themselves. AND my TA (who was in my first period Geometry 9 class last year) is freaking awesome. One of my all time favorites. One of the VP's subbed for me, but my TA stamped homework, collected stamp sheets, and helped them go over the homework. In the end, I got there with 20 minutes left in class, and managed to skip through lecture slides quickly (since my TA had gone through stuff with them.
Praise the Lord. If there's any class I'd want that to happen in, it'd be first because they can handle it. Praise the Lord for my awesome TA. Praise the Lord for 1 hour more sleep.
Although, the rest of the day was unnerving. I gave my first referral today (last year I gave a total of like 1 referral all year), but today I wasn't taking anything. I confiscated a phone. I sent another kid out and emailed his mom. Anyways, it was a semi-crappy day. I think my patience was short because I've been having classroom management issues with 5th period. Trying to be "stricter," but that always makes me feel bad too. Algebra is making me sad. I am sucking at teaching it, but I don't have the energy to not suck.
AND to top it off, I called a kid's parents about her tardies after school. I felt a bit hypocritical, but I have one tardy in over a year, she had three in less than 3 weeks, so I guess I don't feel so bad.
No comments:
Post a Comment